Showing all 2 results
What is Ambien?
The generic name of Ambien is Zolpidem. It is also a sedative called a hypnotic. Ambien treats sleep problems. It affects the brain and controls the unbalanced chemical, which affects sleep in adults.
It is a short-term treatment. Prolonged use of Ambien can cause serious side effects to the body.
It treats insomnia. Symptoms of insomnia include trouble sleeping.
Ambien is a federally controlled sedative. Misuse of Ambien can lead to physical dependence on this drug.
Ambien treats only cognitive insomnia, or behavior changes of sleep includes irregular sleeping patterns. Ambien can make patients asleep for a more extended period.
It is available in three types- sublingual tablets, conventional tablets, and oral spray.
The immediate release of Ambien can make you fall asleep. The extended-release tablets can make you feel numb when the first layer dissolves in the mouth. The second layer will make you stay asleep for a more extended period.
It acts on the brain as a calming effect. It treats the patient for only 1-2 weeks.
- During sedative or hypnotic treatment of the patients, relapse occurred several times. Relapse or return of symptoms that changed behavioral patterns of the patients can occur. Proper evaluation is needed. Constant relapse in the patients during the treatment needs appropriate evaluation.
- There can be some psychiatric or mental illness.
- Misuse of this drug can cause severe adverse effects on the body. Physical dependence occurs due to misuse of this drug.
- Do not take this medicine with the person who is already addicted.
- Some patients will have some reactions in the course of the treatment.
- Any other drug should not challenge patients who develop new symptoms in the course of the treatment.
- The doses are not the same in the strata of the population; both men and women need different recommended doses. This drug is not advisable for children. Avoid using this drug without prescriptions.
- In the initial phases of the treatment, the doctor instructs lower doses of the drug.
- Take Ambien in the mid of the night awakenings and keep it under the tongue to dissolve properly.
- After taking Ambien, you may wake up in the middle of the night and do several activities which you might forget the following day. Suppose you have done several activities. Consult the doctor.
What to know before taking Ambien?
Ambien may not be suitable for you. Ambien may get interacted with the body if you have a past medical history or had allergies.
Inform your doctor about your healthcare conditions that include
- Medical history of depression
- Medical history of mental illness
- Liver problems
- Kidney problems
- Blood pressure problems
- Have a lung disease or breathlessness
- Have a medical account of alcohol, or you were drug-addict
- You are planning to become pregnant, or you are pregnant during treatment.
Contact your doctor about medications you are taking that include prescribed or non-prescribed. It will be best if you tell the doctor about all the treatments and medicines you are taking. Please do not take any other drug with Ambien as it can cause serious side effects. It can interact with the body.
How to take Ambien?
Ambien comes in sublingual tablets, extended tablets, and oral spray.
If you take extended tablets or oral sprays in the mouth, take as prescribed by the doctor. Follow the instruction given by the doctor. Tale only once a day.
If you are taking sublingual tablets, then take them as necessary by the patients.
If you are taking any tablets, sublingual or extended-release tablets, go to bed immediately. Take this medicine when you are in bed already. Stay in bed and have slept for at least 7-8 hours. If you are getting up too early, stay in bed and try to get back to sleep. Do not take extra medicine; overdose of this drug can cause serious side effects to the body.
If you get up too soon after taking Ambien, you might affect your brain and cause some mild symptoms of drowsiness.
This drug is for a short time. Take this medicine only for 7-10 nights in a row. If the condition gets worsens, do not extend the dose for more than 4-5 weeks.
Do not stop using Ambien suddenly. It may cause some withdrawal problems. Consult the doctor immediately.
Swallow the pill whole. Do not crush, break this drug.
Keep this drug away from moisture or temperature.
Ambien treats patients who are suffering from sleep. However, the amount of dose or intervals between the quantities of the Ambien depends on various factors. It includes
- Medical history of the patient
- The behavior changes in the body after taking the medicine
In the initial phase of the treatment, fewer doses treat patients.
The adult dose of the Ambien includes 10mg, and it should not exceed more than that.
If the patient suffers from allergies due to this drug or older person, take 5 mg and not more than that.
Dosage adjustment is necessary for CNS depressants.
Do not take medicine without prescriptions.
Seek immediate medical help and call certified Poison Helpline number.
Overdose symptoms can include cardiovascular and respiratory compromise. It can also cause coma. In some cases, patients can even die.
Patients should be under regular monitoring and counseling.
What to avoid while using Ambien?
Do not take Ambien while you are traveling. It can cause serious injuries. Take at least 7 to 8 hours at night. Less sleep can cause amnesia.
Avoid consuming alcohol. It can be fatal to the body and can cause serious side effects.
Do not take Ambien without prescriptions. Follow the direction as prescribed by the doctor.
Do not drive or do any hazardous activities. It can cause injuries or accidents.
Do not share this medicine with any other person, even if that person has the same symptoms as yours.
Do not take medicine with a person who already had a history of addiction.
Ambien side effects
Ambien may not be suitable for you. They can have some mild to severe side effects.
Some simple effects include
- Stuffy nose
The list is not complete. It can have several other symptoms.
Some severe side effects include
- Chest pain
- Liver problems
- Lung problems
- Personality change
- No risk of danger
The list is not complete. Contact the doctor immediately as you find severe symptoms.
What drugs can interact with Ambien?
Many medicines can interact with Ambien. Inform the doctor if you are under observation and have some medical history.
If you are allergic to Ambien can cause serious side effects and even death.
Call the doctor immediately if you are facing any symptoms. If you are taking any medicine that includes antifungal, antibiotics, herbal medicine, sedative-like valium, inform the doctor. Medications that can interact with Ambien also include anti-depressants and mood relaxers.
Contact the doctor immediately and seek emergency help.